Saturday, April 7, 2012

Sins and Jelly Beans.

The Jelly Bean Prayer candy, “Reaching The World, One Piece at a Time," were right there next to the Starburst and Brach's Jelly Beans, and the Palmer's Robin Eggs.  I have a hard time controlling my facial expressions, but this time I also let out a, "What the Hell?"  Luckily there was only one other woman in the Easter Candy aisle when just a few minutes before it had been packed.  She didn't even look up. Of course, this was too much for me, not to share with someone so I said, "Did you see these?  It actually says, "Jesus' blood on the red jelly bean!"  She responded with a raised eyebrow and said, "I can't believe they allow that."

We are Catholic, (maybe the "bad kind" because we stopped going regularly during the 2008 election, when the Priest was focusing on abortion and politics in his sermon, obviously pointing towards voting Republican), and we do celebrate the religious holiday, as God intended. (Seriously).
But, about three years ago I choked on the whole Easter Bunny story. I just couldn't affirm that a huge freaking bunny was coming into our house to hide candy.  The whole thing kind of scared me when I was kid, and when I realized there was no Easter Bunny, I instantly realized there was no Santa and that ruins a kid's life, for goodness sake.  
I got the whole, "You're no fun," from M and S's preschool teacher when I told her the kids didn't think there was really an Easter Bunny... but she also pretends leprechauns run around on Saint Patrick's Day, and that might be even more terrifying than a bunny.   They know what Easter is really all about and they know it's a symbol of Spring starting, and new things, and hope.


Anyway, I don't mind stores selling these--it's kind of awesomely crazy.  But, what do you say to your kids when you give them some? "Here's your pack of jelly beans.  Okay, eat that sin!  Now eat Jesus' blood!"


Each bag has eight colors, and each represents a religious theme:


Black = Sin
Red = Jesus’ blood
White= Clean
Yellow = Heaven
Green = Growth
Purple = Royalty
Pink = Thank you
Orange = Lord.


Each bag contains about 17 individual packets, each with a key to flavors and meanings. They are made in Mexico and distributed by Scripture Candy, Inc.
Prayer Jelly Beans are kosher.


I even researched this craziness, and there is a "Jelly Bean Prayer" taught to children, which begins “Red is for the blood He gave. Green is for the grass He made. Yellow is for the sun so bright...”

Awesome.




No comments :